Trade given more time to move to CDS
Customs recently announced more time for traders to migrate from CHIEF to the new Customs Declaration Service (CDS). The new system has been under development for some time. It will replace CHIEF the aging customs IT system used by forwarders,brokers and ports to clear UK imports and export.
CDS is a big change for all players in the customs trade sector but it’s development and roll out has not been without problems and delays unsurprisingly for a large,complex government IT project.
Trade focus until recent weeks was on Brexit preparation however HMRC had intended all traders to complete migration from CHIEF to CDS by September 2020.
CDS Migration period extended
HMRC recently announced that CHIEF would continue to operate beyond September 2020 and migration to CDS was no longer mandatory by this date. Read the full story on this announcement in our sister companies news item here.
Recommend CDS action steps
Customs did provide the following pointers( or reminders for some) to get ready for CDS. Although no longer a September 2020 hard deadline it is still on the horizon…..
- Go to the Customs CDS page to understand how the move to CDS may impact you where you can find out what;s needed do to get ready.
- Review the changes to the Import and Export Tariff.
- Register for a Government Gateway account and, once notified by your software developer, register for CDS and authorise your software provider
- Prepare for changes to manual input of declarations by Customs if you rely on this method ( CIE ).
- Consider any training or information needs your business will provide to staff, for example outlining how ‘Boxes’ in CHIEF are being replaced with ‘Data Elements’ in CDS. Clearlight Customs can help with this. Get in touch now.
- Consider changes to your Duty Deferment or Flexible Accounting System (FAS) accounts
- Your Customs broker will require additional mandatory information from your business about your goods that is not needed from you today
We Can Help – Get in Touch
Don’t leave it too late. Clearlight can help now. Get ahead. Get in touch and we can provide advice, training and support to move from CHIEF to CDS. Contact us here